The higher education regulator has advised institutions to inform students about the ABC service and to promote and assist them in obtaining an Academic Bank Account using the ABC site (www.abc.gov.in).
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has directed all higher education institutions (HEIs) to immediately register on the Academic Bank of Credits (ABC) network and upload the dates of student credits acquired during or after the 2021-22 academic year.
The higher education regulator has encouraged institutions to make students aware of the ABC service and encourage and support them in registering academic bank accounts on the ABC site in a letter to Vice-Chancellors of all universities, Directors of HEls, and Principals of autonomous colleges.
“Academic Bank of Credits will digitally store the academic credits earned by students from HELS registered with ABC, for awarding degrees, diplomas, or certificates considering credits earned by students.” “The official notification read: ABC will ensure the opening, closure, and validation of Academic Bank of Accounts, verification, accumulation, and transfer or redemption for students,” the official notification read.
The ABC platform was built within the DigiLocker framework by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitYNational)’s e-Governance Division (NeGD), with the facility and functionality of opening Academic Accounts for students and on-boarding of Higher Educational Institutions.
Furthermore, it will ensure the creation, closure, and validation of academic bank accounts as well as the verification, accumulation, and transfer or redemption of funds for students. It will enable students to pick their own learning route to obtain a degree, diploma, or certificate, based on the premise of multiple entry-multiple exits as well as anytime, anywhere, and any-level learning.
To increase the reach of the ABC programme, all HEIs are urged to adopt the following actions as soon as possible.
- Register your organisation with ABC (www.abc.gov.in).
- Data from student credits received during or after the academic year 2021-22 should be uploaded.
- Make your institution’s students aware of the ABC service and encourage and assist them in creating an academic bank account using the ABC site.
- Create a link to the ABC URL, i.e., www.abc.gov.in, on the home page of your institution’s website.
- Allocate the Nodal Officer’s responsibility for adopting ABC and updating their Webpages.
- Higher education institutions may require students to include their ABC ID on all test forms.